[NWscouters] SCOUTS SA News - Let's continue to put child safety first

SCOUTS South Africa info at scouts.org.za
Thu Aug 19 17:23:45 SAST 2021

National Announcements 3: August 2021

Let’s continue to put Child Safety first!

Message from Chief Commissioner Gary Pienaar

For decades adult volunteers within SCOUTS South Africa have been serving youth and children nationwide. Together we have been working hard to ensure that our Scout Groups, activities and events are safe places for young members and volunteers.

We have Safe from Harm and Child Protection procedures in place and we are now upping the ante even more! From now on SCOUTS South Africa requires all of us warranted or appointed adults, parent helpers and Rovers - older than 18 years of age - to get a Police Clearance (PC) before we may work with youth members within the Scout Movement.

This will be familiar to some of our Regions, who already use Police Clearances in some of their screening processes.  While the National Office continues to vet adult volunteers against the National Child Protection database as required by the Children's Act (No.38 of 2005) as part of our appointments procedure, the lack of responsiveness from the Department of Social Development has resulted in SSA taking the decision to implement the Police Clearance as a requirement nationwide.

Currently we are in consultation with all Regional teams to determine the most practical processes to implement this decision, which also meets the varied needs of our members.

In order to facilitate the process we have engaged with Nevetec, a reputable accredited verification agency, who will be assisting with the verifications at discounted rates. However, members are free to source their Police Clearance certificate through their local Police Stations or other commercially offered services.

For more practical information about what this means for current members, new members and Rovers, click HERE<https://www.scouts.org.za/2021/08/19/child-safety-police-clearance-campaign/>.

Let’s show our membership and the communities in which we operate that we practice transparent governance and that we are leaders that put child safety first!

Yours in Scouting,

SCOUTS South Africa

[cid:image003.png at 01D77D4A.2B8B99A0]