[NWscouters] NW SCOUTS Announcements: From the Desk of the Regional Commissioner

North West northwest at scouts.org.za
Tue Aug 31 17:58:58 SAST 2021

FROM THE DESK OF THE REGIONAL COMMISSIONER

Dumelang Ketapele,

Greetings to you all, the past few days have been very exciting joining team SSA at the World Scout Conference. I have to say it was all worthwhile, very engaging, and enlightening experience viewing Scouts from an international perspective. My biggest takeaway is that WOSM wants to reach 100 million members by 2023, which has placed an interesting and exciting task in front of us to take the good gospel of Scouting to the masses, more than ever Scouting is needed in our community for us to have the level of impact we want to reach and ultimately create a Better World for all. It is not just about numbers but leaving the world a lot better than we found it. Scouting has evolved over the years by being more involved in the communities we stay in and being messengers of peace, it is no longer just about the traditional program but also about what happens around us, and be advocates of a positive change.

The world is starting to open up slowly but surely making progress amid the pandemic. I hope and believe that most of our groups have now started meeting and delivering our super amazing programme.

Over the last few weeks, we’ve had a few positions opening up and are seen below under vacant posts/regional structure. We take this opportunity to thank those who served in these positions and will hopefully be contributing to the movement somehow going forward.

Over the past few years, we have noticed that we have placed a lot of leaders in Regional positions which left the ground unattended, as a result, groups suffer and we end up having a leadership vacuum on the ground with an inflated Regional structure, which doesn’t necessarily benefit the ground. Subsequent to that, we have made a few changes to the current structure, to make it more meaningful for the groups and try and slim down our structure as the Region.
With that been said, we will not advertise the RTC Adult Leader Training position, because the training team can handle this and will be handled from the RCs office until such time we have a stable team.

Additionally, We will now realign our districts to their district municipal instead of focusing a district in each town as we have done previously, this comes a realization that some Districts have way less than enough groups to formulate a district and this will also allow us to have more leaders focusing on groups than the whole district. As a result, Mahikeng and Zeerust will now be Ngaka Modiri Molema District. Potchefstroom, Ventersdorp and Klerksdorp will be Dr Kenneth Kaunda District. Rustenburg and Brits will be Bojanala District. Ganyesa, Vryburg, Taung and other surrounding villages will now be known as Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati District.

We also need to have a tailored approach for each District as per their needs, case in point, some District function effectively having a District council, and some need to have a DC focused on them, we need to respect that, because “the one size fits all” approach doesn’t work for everyone.

We also celebrate an addition to our numbers in Bokone Bophirima, I would like to congratulate and welcome 1st Vaal Reefs Group to the North West Region, an SPA certificate has been issued for them and wishing them all the best. You have our total support.

VACANT POSTS

  1.  District Commissioner - Dr Kenneth Kaunda
  2.  District Commissioner – Dr Ruth Mompati
  3.  Regional Team Coordinator - Cub Programme
To apply for these positions please fill in the application form<https://www.scouts.org.za/wp-content/uploads/Role-Application-Rala-1-May-2020-v4.0-1.pdf> and send it to thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za<mailto:thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za> by no later then the 15th of September 2021. Members may nominate each by submitting a nomination form<https://www.scouts.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Nomination-Form-for-Region-District-or-Group-Position-v1.0.pdf> to thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za<mailto:thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za>, also to be submitted by the 15th of September 2021.

NEW APPOINTMENTS

The following Regional appointments have been made:

  1.  Regional Marketing Rep – Eugene Kgori
  2.  Development Officer – John Ikgopoleng
  3.  Development Officer – Ishmael Matlawe
  4.
All three of these positions are focused strongly on the growth element of the NWR following our goal from 2018 of having #5000 Scouts by the end of 2020, however, the covid19 pandemic wasn’t for the idea hence we have extended the goal to 2023 and may deliberate on it even further during the AGM.
We congratulate you all on your appointments and hoping to see some amazing results coming forth.

REGIONAL SUPPORT TEAM

I was recently asked to please publish the updated Regional structure and their contacts,

Regional Commissioner – Thabiso Majola thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za<mailto:thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za>
RTC Scouts – Tebogo Moletsane tebogo.moletsane at scouts.org.za<mailto:tebogo.moletsane at scouts.org.za>
RTC Rovers – Katlego Canci katlego.canci at scouts.org.za<mailto:katlego.canci at scouts.org.za>
RTC Cubs – Vacant [may contact nkululeko.majola at scouts.org.za<mailto:nkululeko.majola at scouts.org.za> ]
RTC Adult Support – Tumisang Makgobi tumisang.makgobi at scouts.org.za<mailto:tumisang.makgobi at scouts.org.za>
RTC Development – Pablo Mogotsi pablo.mogotsi at scouts.org.za<mailto:pablo.mogotsi at scouts.org.za>
RTC Adult Leader Training – Vacant [may contact thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za<mailto:thabiso.majola at scouts.org.za> ]
Regional Marketing Rep – Eugene Kgori eugene.kgori at scouts.org.za<mailto:eugene.kgori at scouts.org.za>
Regional Property Rep – Spax Ikgopoleng jacob.ikgopoleng at scouts.org.za<mailto:jacob.ikgopoleng at scouts.org.za>
Regional Finance Rep – Molefi Rabotapi molefi.rabotapi at scouts.org.za<mailto:molefi.rabotapi at scouts.org.za>
Development Officer – John Ikgopoleng john.ikgopoleng at scouts.org.za<mailto:john.ikgopoleng at scouts.org.za>
Development Officer – Ishmael Matlawe teiteimatlawe at scouts.org.za<mailto:teiteimatlawe at scouts.org.za>
Regional Young Leaders Rep – Tumi Phele itumeleng.phele at scouts.org.za<mailto:itumeleng.phele at scouts.org.za>
District Commissioner – Bojanala District: Bra Boy Sedumedi sedumed at gmail.com<mailto:sedumed at gmail.com>
District Commissioner – Dr Kenneth Kaunda: Vacant
District Commissioner – Dr Ruth Mompati: Vacant
District Chair – Ngaka Modiri Molema: Tumisang Makgobi tumisang.makgobi at scouts.org.za<mailto:tumisang.makgobi at scouts.org.za>

UPCOMING EVENT

Regional AGM and Youth Forum

We hereby extend an invitation to all adult members to attend the first-ever Regional AGM to be hosted under the following conditions

Venue: Mahikeng Scout Centre
Date: 26 to 28 November 2021
Amount: R200.00 for each member, to be deposited to the Regional Account by no later than the 15th of November 2021.
Prerequisite for attendance: All members of the Regional Team, Regional Manco, Youth delegates from each district and all other adult members in good standing groups.

A detailed notice will be sent out soon here on the mailing list, including a survey to help us focus our topics on your needs and challenges.
We will also be hosting the Youth Forum simultaneously with the AGM. When the notice goes out it will be accompanied by a name spreadsheet where all those attending can register prior to the end of September 2021, this will allow us enough time to be able to prepare for everyone in good time.

We are hoping to appoint a task team that will be focused on the AGM and part of their duty is to see if we can be able to secure support especially for transport for those coming from far, however, this is not yet on the table. We are therefore opening it up to anyone that would like to volunteer in organizing this historic event to please email northwest at scouts.org.za<mailto:northwest at scouts.org.za> by no later than the 15th of September 2021.

We strongly urge you all to attend this event as it will be painting the future of the Region and to also check on how far we have come from. Please note that we will be doing Police Clearances during the AGM and this will be at no extra cost, if not done during the AGM you will be required to do it at your own costs.

Yours in Scouting

Info Centre

North West Region

SCOUTS South Africa

Email: northwest at scouts.org.za<mailto:northwest at scouts.org.za>

Website: northwest.scouts.org.za<https://northwest.scouts.org.za/>

[cid:678e428b-8399-4be4-ad90-ed74ffe195c9]